Followers

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A hike to the top of the Ko'olau Ridge


I really wanted to hike to the top of the amazing mountains here. This hike was 5 miles and took us 4 hours. It was a tough one. The boys did great and we were well prepared...food, water, camera, band aids, inhaler (the boy never uses it anymore :) ), wipes and candy. We didn't have enough bread for all of the sandwiches, so I picked up some musubi's on the way, which is what the locals eat nearly every day. They were horrible! Charley LOVES them and gobbled them down. Rice and spam (pan fried in a sauce) wrapped up in seaweed.

We are off with sticks in hand.

Mmmm...spam

You really had to watch your footing on this hike! Boy heaven.

Why not eat lunch in a tree?

About 1/2 way up we came to a forest full of Cook Pines. I felt like we were in Eastern Oregon. The temperature really dropped here and it was really windy.



Miles from the car..."Mama, I have to go poop, bad". Which is why we hike with wipes. Never fails. Fortunately so many trees to hid behind.


The tree behind us looks like a cross!



We left the Cook Pines and headed towards the ridge. The top was full of ferns.



So...many...stairs.

We made it! The view was amazing!! The wind was so strong that it was hard to stand. We actually got cold.


Looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment